U Weight Loss Clinics Inc. (“U Weight Loss”, “we”, “us” or “our”) takes steps to ensure it meets privacy principles and requirements with respect to personal information under applicable Canadian privacy legislation. The purpose of this policy is to inform our customers and other individuals we deal with (“you” and “your”) how we collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
Personal information is information that is identifiable as pertaining to an individual, as more particularly described under applicable privacy legislation. This policy applies to our collection, use, and disclosure of personal information in Canada.
Personal Information We Collect
- Contact information, such as name, title, address, telephone number, facsimile or e-mail address, which may be collected through our weight loss counseling program forms or otherwise, or on our website, www.uweightloss.com, when you request information about our products and services, or when you apply for a franchise.
- Health history information, such as information you may provide on your application form or client contract, including your contact information, age, gender, occupation, medications and supplements, as well as health symptoms you are experiencing, treatments or surgical procedures you have received or undergone, and information relating to your height, current weight and goal weight.
- Program and service information, including the type of weight loss management programs and services you have enrolled or participated in; other related information regarding your use of our programs and services; and your customer service history, including inquiries, complaints or records of other customer service we may provide.
- Billing information, including banking information collected through cheque payment or for pre-authorized payment purposes, and credit card number(s) or other payment-method details, as well as your billing and payment status and history.
- We only collect, use and disclose your personal information with your consent, except as permitted or required by law. Consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information may be given by you in various ways. Consent can be express (for example, orally, electronically, or on a form you may sign describing the intended uses and disclosures of personal information), or implied (for example, when you provide information necessary for a service you have requested, or in some circumstances where notice has been provided to you about our intentions regarding your personal information, and you have not withdrawn your consent for an identified purpose, such as by using an “opt-out” option provided).
- We may be required or permitted under statute or regulation to collect, use or disclose personal information without your consent, for example to comply with a court order; local, provincial or federal regulations; a legally permitted inquiry by a government agency; or to collect a debt owed to us.
- Note: If you withdraw your consent to certain uses of your personal information, we may no longer be able to provide certain products or services to you.
Use of Your Personal Information
- Evaluate your application and determine your initial and ongoing eligibility for our programs and services;
- Evaluate your suitability to become one of our franchisees;
- Provide and administer the services you request, respond to your inquiries about our products and services, and contact you regarding the requested services;
- Process billing and invoices, and manage, administer and collect your payments for products or services;
- Maintain business records for reasonable periods and generally manage and administer our business;
- Meet legal, regulatory, security and processing requirements, or otherwise as permitted or required by law.
On occasion, we may use your personal information to provide you with information about other related U Weight Loss products and services that we believe will be of interest to you. We make reasonable efforts to ensure that we use your personal information with your knowledge and consent. You may refuse consent to such use (where such options are offered), or you may withdraw your consent by contacting us at 1-866-799-8746.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Your personal information may be used by us and disclosed to parties connected with the contemplated or actual financing, securitization, insuring, sale, assignment or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets, including for the purpose of permitting such parties to determine whether to proceed or continue with such transaction to fulfill reporting, inspection or audit requirements, or obligations to such parties. In the event that all or part of our business or assets to which your personal information relates is sold, assigned, or otherwise disposed of, your personal information will be used and disclosed by such parties for substantially the same purposes as described in this policy.
We may otherwise disclose personal information as necessary to meet legal, regulatory, insurance, audit and security requirements, or as permitted or required by law. U Weight Loss will NEVER sell your personal information to a third party.
We may transfer personal information to outside agents or service providers that perform services on our behalf (for example, billing service providers, mailing houses, or collection agents), in which case we will use contractual or other reasonable means to ensure that your personal information is protected and not used or disclosed for any purposes other than as directed by us.
Please note that our franchisees are independent businesses and we do not control the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information you may provide to our franchisees. Please contact the franchisee with whom you have a relationship if you are concerned about how your personal information is collected, used or disclosed by these independent franchisees. If you request that we disclose your personal information to one of our franchisees (for example, if you are participating in a weight loss management program operated by us and wish to change locations to a program operated by one of our franchisees), your personal information will be disclosed to the applicable franchisee so that they may provide the products and services you have requested. Should we assume the operation of one of our franchisees, the personal information in the possession of the franchisee will be:
- Collected and used by us so that we may carry on business of the former franchisee and provide you with the products or services that you have requested; and/or
- Collected, used, and disclosed by us to a new franchisee so that the new franchisee may carry on business of the former franchisee and provide you with the products or services that you have requested.
Our Website and the Internet
We operate the website www.uweightloss.com, which provides information about our products and services, and through which you can order and purchase products, request further information, request customer support or make other inquiries.
Personal information provided by you online is used to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests. Personal information that you voluntarily provide in response to our online questionnaires and surveys is used to help us learn more about our customers’ interests and preferences, and to send you periodic information about our products and services (if you have chosen that option). Our Internet servers may passively and automatically collect certain information about website visitors’ traffic patterns, which may be linked to their Internet Protocol (IP) addresses (which are unique Internet “addresses” assigned to all Internet users by their Internet Service Providers). Server logs may record statistical information, such as visitors’ IP addresses, type of operating systems, time and duration of visit, and pages requested, and identify categories of visitors by items, such as domains and browser types. These statistics are only collected and used on an aggregate basis.
Unless a visitor specifically provides their identity to us (e.g., by providing information through an online form or sending us correspondence from the website), cookie information is anonymous and we will not know who the individual visitors are. Information gathered from cookies is only used on an aggregate basis. You can disable cookies using your Internet browser’s settings.
Please consult your browser’s help function for information on how to disable cookies. Note: if you disable cookies, certain features of our website may not function properly.
Our website may contain links to other websites that are provided as a convenience only, and which may have different privacy policies and practices than U Weight Loss and, accordingly, we have no responsibility for such third-party websites, and individuals are advised to review the privacy policies of any third-party websites they visit.
Access, Correction, and Contacting Us
We may establish and maintain a file of your personal information for the purposes described above, which will be accessible at the U Weight Loss Corporate Office. If you wish to request access or a correction of your personal information in our custody or control, you may write to the above address, attention Privacy Officer.
Your right to access or correct your personal information is subject to applicable legal restrictions. If you wish to make inquiries or complaints, or have other concerns about our personal information practices, you may write to the above address or call us at 1.866.799.8746.